Sunday, March 25, 2007

Quest for Breakfast Muffins

Vivocity has been our favourite place for sometime now, I think it's because Pacific Coffee has this quaint outdoor sitting area which faces sentosa. The water and reflection of the sunlight which comes through at about 5pm is breathtaking, their coffee isn't half bad too. Everytime we are there, I feel like I am back in Sydney's Darling Harbour drinking Gloria Jeans' Coffee on a Sunday.

Another favourite outlet of mine at Vivocity, apart from CANDY EMPIRE (Authentic Tim Tams and Red Rocket Deli Chips!), is the Organic Supermarket next to Marks and Spencer. Dezzo is in love with their organic dried fruit and nut mix, available from their nut counter. I managed to find wholemeal flour at the organic supermarket, an ingredient I had been searching for for quite a while
Waitrose has been tucked away in the dark recesses of my mother's kitchen for over a month now, and since I had some time today, and 3 very ripe bananas on hand, it was a perfect time to try Nigella's Banana Muffins.

Nigella's Banana Muffins
I put in 2.5 bananas instead of 2, and substituted white flour with the wholemeal flour, which resulted in very heavy and moist muffins. If you are not a fan of wholemeal bread or grains, I do not recommend you use wholemeal flour as the taste is quite strong. I also halved the raising agents (Chemicals!). The great thing about this recipe is that the sugar added is minimal and there are no eggs involved!

Makes 6 Big Muffins
30g Unsalted Butter
60g Clear Honey
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 Large, Very Ripe Bananas
150 Plain Flour
1 Heaped tsp Baking Power
1/2 tsp bicarb
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
Pinch of Salt

Use the wet into dry method:
1. Melt butter, honey and vanilla over low heat. Leave to cool for a few mins
2. Mash Bananas in a bowl
3. Measure out flour, raising agents, cinnamon and salt
4. Mix melted butter with banana
5. Mix into dry ingredients. DO NOT OVER MIX! A lumpy mixture is a good sign.
6. Bake at 190 deg for 25mins

2 comments:

Unknown said...

These look really good! Pretty robin blue cupcake cups too. Must bring us some of your creations to try the next time we meet. I could do with less healthy ones though, ha :)

sideshowjo said...

Still cannot beat your chocolate cake lah! That was absolutely decadant and scrumptious! I will indeed bake some for you girls next meet up. When? :p