Thursday, August 02, 2007

Money Matters (Written when high on PMS Hormones)

Over the last few days, I had to do some research about wealth management, investments, stock broking, shares, bonds, unit trusts... all very foreign to me. I remember my brother being quite exasperated when he tried explaining the concept of bonds to me 2 years ago as I have always been adverse to economics, finance and anything business and commerce related, no thanks to an academically useless 2 month stint in the now defunct Outrum Institute.

The research got me further interested in the workings of private banking and the world of investments, which was sparked off when I met Cheryl and Sharon a month ago when they were going on about investments and buying properties. Then I met Gary yesterday and he told me of Jan's big promotion (Congratulations Jan! All I can say is, YOU DA WOMAN!) and then I thought, SHIT, I'm 27, I'm as old as Jan, but I'm just starting on a new job, having to climb ranks all over again and that leaves me, what.... 2 years 4 months 9 days before I hit 30 and I'm no where near how I envisioned myself at 30 at aged 25.

So honestly, is all this altruistic nonsense worth it? Unfortunately, I bloomed late, was a screw up up till age 25 and didn't manage to hitchhike my way to speedy medical success. This bendy road rubbish is really getting to me, and frankly, I somehow think it is all going to go to shits. So if it really goes to shits, what's my fall back plan? I don't have one. Simply because I did not set out to fail. Cocky you say? Yes, perhaps it might seem that way. Lump likes to call it 'Burning all Bridges, and not giving oneself and excuse to fail'. However, I'm beginning to realise, that getting into medical school is a very dirty game if you are not part of the elite or have a perfect GPA.

So what happens to the in betweens like myself if we do end up slipping through the admission gap?

Well, we might mope for a bit, then we might say, Screw altruism...

I JUST WANT TO MAKE ALOT OF MONEY

6 comments:

Jan said...

I'm in the poor industry. You will probably make more than what I'm making now in 2 years. My position equivalent in another industry (medical,real estate, banking whichever), will be making 2 or 3 times of what I'm making now. Don't worry, you are on the right path. It'll take a while to get there (takes most ppl a while!), but most importantly - you will get there! :)

sideshowjo said...

Eh seriously, not many 27 year olds have accomplished what you have today. Like I told Gary "Janice had done really well for herself!". Thanks for the vote of confidence! Can you bring Sigur Ros to Singapore :p

agnes said...

hi jo,
hehe, money does make e world go round, yet I suppose its a choice...

we all hv goals,dreams,visions... but u know sometimes is it worth working/slogging like a slave/dog until we dont know how to appreciate and live life?

sideshowjo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sideshowjo said...

I fully agree. I always tell the other half. "At what cost?" Sometimes I wish I had a more bohemian streak, but I do have moments of being materialistic, which is disturbing.

I just got round to checking mails today! My cousin is out of town and will be back next week. You free then? I'll e-mail you!

Sonny Liew said...

maybe you can combine your interests and start harvesting gnome organs for sale! :p

but anyway you'll be doctor jo in no time :)