Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Skimmed through an old episode featuring our country's garbage solution company's ex CEO today. Very prominently placed in her office was a throw around cushion with the phrase 'Behind every successful man is an exhausted woman' printed on it. She even picked it up and proudly showed it off to the camera mid interview.

It got me thinking, we women generally really get the shorter end of the stick in a marriage, don't we?

Women are in charge of taking care of and nurturing their families on top of jobs. Ok, one might argue that women are more empowered these days and chores are shared, rights are fair and equal, and running a household is a shared responsibilty. But ask any man at work if they're worrying about the shortage of groceries in the fridge or the laundry that needs to be done, I can assure you they've got their head so far up their client's asses they forget their domestic obligations.

Not only that.

Child bearing? Our responsibility
Sorting out holidays? Our responsibility
Placating the husband when he returns from work regardless of how bad a day we've had? Our responsibilty
Ensuring hot meals are placed on the table? Our responsibility.
Remembering birthdays? Our responsibility
Arranging family functions? Our responsibility
Buying gifts? Our responsibility
Dealing with utility bills? Our responsibility
Ensuring Husband's ego is stroked? Our Very Big responsibility

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure men have to worry about providing for their family in monetary terms, but seriously, more and more I appreciate and respect the many many different hats a woman has to wear every day. I have always remembered what my mother said to me in a moment of frustration...

"When your father is sick, it's like the children are sick, when the children are sick the whole family is sick, when mummy is sick, well no one really knows when mummy is sick"

3 comments:

Jan said...

Can't agree more. Men are essentially overgrown little boys. And I am sure there are men out there who will read this post and think 'Well you women want independence and all that feminist shit, deal with it!'

But get a man to step in a woman's shoes for a day, and I'm sure he'll be crying out for mercy no doubt.

Women think of cutting men slack since they are the 'men' and worry about the monetary aspect in the family and the 'bigger stuff'. Men should, in turn cut women slack for juggling a kazillion and one other 'smaller' things.Pffft!

sideshowjo said...

My ex-colleague once said, "Men are hand-me-downs from their mothers", rather crass but hey, I fully agree.

Women rock.

agnes said...

thats a gd quote!!!!!
i ought to get that printed on a tshirt 2 bluntly remind my hubby EVERYDAY :P hahaha