Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Music in my Head

Linkin Park's Minutes to Midnight was released recently so we went and got ourselves a copy. Seeing as how they have kept fans waiting for almost 2 years for their new album, we could hardly contain our excitement and popped it into the CD player in the car immediately. We were so disappointed. Jibes from friends kept ringing in my head of course "Linkin Park?! Why you like boyband?". I told Dezzo it is only because they are Linkin Park that I will give them another listen on my ipod and see how it goes. To which he said that it would probably sound better.

I listened to it on my way to class last night and I didn't find them half as bad as I had the day before. I have realised this about listening to music using earphones, it allows you to truly appreciate every instrument, the vocals, the beats, and of course in an almost concert hall like setting, apparently from the centre of your head. If my memory from 3rd year neuroscience serves me right, perfectly balanced earphones should map an apparent sound source almost as if from an area slightly above the nasal cavity running down towards the middle of the head.

In any case, I began to understand why audiophiles would fork out ludicrous sums of money for branded ear/headphones or state of the art audio systems to allow one's self that perfect auditory experience. I remember going to this advertising guru's house party with Dezzo, which housed a state of the art audio system, absolutely hideous I thought, with 2 giant nautilus shell-like contraptions on each side (sorry I just don't get these overtly avant garde designs). We sat on the 2 chairs in the middle facing the shells and listened. The sound was oaky, had a deep resonance and I could hear it coming from that special place in the centre of my head. Looking back, that system must have been very good. Heh. Well, till I can afford some kickass earphones with a good range for bass, I'm happy with my ipod provided ones for now.

Earphones have saved Linkin Park from getting the boot from DJ Sideshowjo :p

No comments: