Saturday, September 29, 2007

Thank you Mom

"Thank you Mom for being such a good role model of what a supportive wife should be'. This brought tears to my eyes when an ex-colleague gave her impromptu speech at her wedding a week ago.

Tonight, everyone stared and watched as a man suffering from hemiplegia, no doubt having suffered from stroke, tried his best to navigate between the hawker centre tables, inching his way forward, cane in hand, body almost at a right angle, able side dragging his body along, looking for a seat wide enough for him to slide onto. I turned to my mother wanting to ask her if we should go over and help, but she was gone, already making her way to him.

"Uncle, you sit. Would you like me to help you order your food?"
"Mmmmuurgh.."

He had lost his ability to speak.
He had to gesticulate

He points to the Chwee Kwey stall.
"Chwee Kwey? Ok. How many you want?"
He holds up 3 fingers
"3 Chwee Kwey? You want chilli?"
He sticks out his thumb. Good.

"Thank you Mom, you have been my role model from whom I have learnt what having compassion truly means."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:) Your mother is a role model indeed babe! I hope more Singaporeans can openly show such compassion to our senior citizens and people with special needs. Kudos to your mummy and yourself! That's why I love my Josie and Lucy...

-Shifaa ;)