Monday, July 02, 2007

Kitty Kats

I am a dog person. I think the whole not having to work for your pet's love and the idea of a big soppy mess constantly hungry for affection appeals to me, but, it is also alot of physical work and commitment. I used to resent cats because I though they were cold unfeeling bastards who only cosied up to you when they were hungry or wanted treats. I only really began to appreciate cats when a dusty grey feline urchin used to visit Sharon and I in our Sydney apartment. Ya ok, the bastard swiped our sardine dinner, clawed our couch, and frequently jumped on our kitchen top to steal food, but we looked forward to his visits and the opportunity to give him a nice bowl of milk. Then I went to Melbourne in June '03 and Dezzo's friend Lynette had a lovely kitty kat who apparently never warmed up to anyone, but with some coaxing, managed to get him to sit on my lap and he allowed pats and scratching behind his ears. Ah! I can make a conection with these snooty bastards I thought.

They have a whole different psyche, my cat loving friends explained, and it was just a matter of understanding them. And we have summized that cats are really the cleverer of the 2 species, their whole not trusting so easily and being on guard, very human. With the realisation that I am a complete worm, I think a cat would better suit my living habits. No walks required, cats know how to eat out of the bowl and stop when they are full, they self clean (though I would still insist on weekly baths I think!), and best of all, sleep 18 hours a day. Best! No having to toss balls and play fetch. Don't get me wrong, I still harbour hopes of owning a fiesty pit bull terrier one day, but till I can promise him a sprawling backyard/lawn or a relatively big area for him to run, that day will have a wait. For now, I would definately get a kitty kat when I get a place. Someday soon. A Kitty Kat just like Lucifer. How can you not love a squished up mug like that! A Persian Kitty Kat for me, definately.

1 comment:

Marshmallow Toasties said...

I need to introduce you to Cat cat! She looks like your typical stray, but is very affectionate and not annoyingly so.

Cats pretty much look after themselves, which is a huge plus point for a busy couple with no maid I think.

I love my dog, but after a tiring day at work, I find it hard to keep up with her level of energy. My cats pop by once in a while for a pat, or to meow when it's feeding time, but other than that they are pretty self sufficient.

If you're thinking of keeping one, do consider the lovely strays at the shelters, or from the streets. Think a kitty will make a good companion for your gnomes...