Monday, June 11, 2007

Stop, Take Stock

The sad fact of growing up is that we all start to get very busy. More often than not, we forget to stop and take stock of the things that are important to us and stop taking the effort to maintain relationships, past and present. This fact was more jarring than ever when I very suddenly lost my housemate from Sydney days to Lupus early this year, I took it for granted that she would always be there and sometimes never gave her the time of day. I remind myself everyday now that life is transient and we should always take time out for family and friends, quite a change from 3 or 4 years ago when I was adamant that friendships were transient.

My friend Cheryl from Secondary School (we went to the same Primary school but she was cool and I was the loser wearing braces and had my fringe 2 fingers above eyebrow kind so we didn't speak) is one person that has taken tremendous effort to keep in touch after all these years. She is always capable of pulling the girls together for a catch up and some good ol' girly gossip, I must admit I took her effort for granted, but I have come to truly appreciate her of late. Caught up with Cheryl and Sharon after a 5 month hiatus, Sharon whom I am immensely proud of, runs a business on her own at 27, juggles work family and son, works 6 sometimes 7 days a week, often returning home at midnight. I am learning more and more that it is so important to choose the right life partner because both of you have to work as a team, live and maintain a family together.
Sharon and Cheryl
The busy business woman
Buying breakfast

The girls have done well for themselves and I am truly happy for them, once again, thanks Cheryl.

No comments: