Saturday, May 19, 2007

My mother was the standard for tough and effective discipline. My brother and I were brought up in a very regimented routine with an extremely steep learning curve. Neighbours and relatives used to threaten to send their children to 'Aunty Lucy's House', or in dire cases, actually do send them to Aunty Lucy for a week or so, to get them sorted.

"Why boy? Don't want to eat fish again? Cry somemore?! I'm sending you to Aunty Lucy! You want!!!?"

Domineering and tyrannical as she was however, she was also the one that injected the only fun we knew of into our childhoods. She was Santa and Headmistress Agatha Trunchbull at the same time. She managed to strike a good balance of give and take I suppose. Well, we turned out pretty decent.

My paternal male cousins, who never cease to poke fun and victimise friends/family always say to me, "Ya ya ya, you're only doing this because this is what your mother wants right?". People from my childhood always naturally seem to assume that my decisions in life are based on what my parents, or rather, my mother wants. Well, fine. Given I was shipped off at 17 and had no say in the matter, that's besides the point. From college on, I've been steering my own course. For as long as I can remember I've always wanted to do medicine. Friends from school/college/university can attest to that. Heck when I was a child I hankered after those microscope and science kits from Toys R Us (which I never got). I however, matured very much later in life and I attribute it to the fact that both my brother and I lead rather sheltered lives. We were spoilt and very lucky children. It was only after joining the work force proper (waitressing stints do not count) did I realise what real life and making money was all about, and how at the end of the day, job satisfaction is paramount to one's well-being. I just could not take...settling and setting myself very small very achievable goals. I needed to do something big. To be very cliche, I needed a paradigm shift. So you know what? Live a little I say! And I'm all the more inspired by people close to me who are truly living and taking steps to come out of their comfort zone and think big, in terms of their careers. All of you inspire me to want the things I want.

My boyfriend Desmond who took the bold leap from Producer to Film Director- You've taught me that hardwork, determination and perseverence brings one the the next level.
Edwin who is embarking on his MBA- You've taught me that it's never to late to come out of one's comfort zone and to not be deterred by having to work hard.
Shifaa who up and left Singapore to do postgrad psych and is working towards a masters- You've taught me about being focused on the goal and and to not veer off the track.
Pam who boldly turned her back on science (not completely yet I think :P) and switched to film- You've taught me to dream Ms. Heng. You truly have.
Christine who is working on a complete career shift into speech pathology- You've thought me to rise above adversity and do whatever it takes.
Edmund who quit a job in banking to do photography and diving- You've thought me that happiness and loving what you do makes one a better person.
Sonny who after finishing philosophy at Cambridge has become a international comic artist- You've thought me that enjoying life while using one's gift is so important.
Marie Sophie who dealt with her boyfriend's death by writing a book and getting published- You've thought me to turn the negative into inner strength to fuel the way.

Just to name a few. If I clear everything and get accepted, I want all of you to know, each and everyone of you gave me strength to dream and achieve. THANK YOU.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you woman. You go reach for your dreams. I know I haven't always been there for you and I can't believe that you even acknowledged me in your little post but I think this is all going to work out for you. Study hard. Let's get there together.
~chris~

Anonymous said...

WE CAN DO EET!