Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Evolution

There was a group discussion about evolution recently and that night, I went home feeling unsettled and bothered. Having been in the science stream for half my life and having taken up tertiary units on genetics and biochemistry did little prod me to question about creation and evolution. I read of scientists who have become fierce atheists in the course of their research and work, case in point would be Richard Dawkins and others who manage to marry the concept of christianity and science. What is my stand? Well I've always believed that there is a God. There exists loopholes in science regarding evolution and the creation of earth/the universe, it still cannot be proven beyond reasonable doubt that God and the concept of christianity is a fallacy. I believe that certain roman catholic traditions have been fabricated by men and that through history, christianity was politicized by leaders in order to gain control and power over their people. I've been force fed Roman Catholic dogma since I was a child (not that I paid any attention, really) and have not questioned my faith much, and like the majority of most born catholics, do not know the bible well. I've been on a journey of discovery trying to understand my faith and take a stand on what I truly believe in. I'm not sure if I'm ready to read any of Dawkin's or Darwin's books but I am very tempted. Perhaps it is imperative to really hunker down and read and understand the bible first and foremost before I even touch on things that try and debunk it.

No comments: